The Basics of Labor Code 3208.3September 5, 2018
How Medico-Legal Works in CaliforniaSeptember 19, 2018
In order to provide comprehensive reports, a variety of medico-legal specialists are employed to create a complete picture of a person’s health or injuries. These specialists may include experts in movement, sight, mental health, and dentistry as well as experts in physical health.
- Chiropractic Medicine – Specialists in chiropractic medicine understand the role joint mobility plays in neurological function.
- Dentistry & Dental Surgery – Too often the face takes the brunt of the force of an accident or injury. Medico-legal specialists in dentistry and dental surgery can speak to the effects broken or injured teeth, gums and jaws can have on a person’s quality of life.
- Foot and Ankle Specialists – Podiatric medicine focuses on the health of the body’s foundation, the feet and ankles. These specialists understand the role the foot and ankle play in movement and function of the rest of the body.
- Internal Medicine – Internal medicine physicians are general medicine doctors. These specialists focus on the overall health and well-being of their patients and are well versed in procedures that help determine diagnoses and courses of treatments for a variety of conditions.
- Ophthalmology – A person’s ability to see after an accident or injury can impact their ability to work and function. Ophthalmologists can determine the level of vision loss as well as any corrective action that can be taken to help restore a patient’s sight.
- Psychiatry – Psychiatrists are trained medical doctors who focus on the medical aspects of a patient’s mental health. Their ability to prescribe and monitor a patient’s medication gives them the expertise to speak to any long-term effects psychiatric medications may have on a person’s function.
- Psychology & Clinical Neuropsychology – Trauma from an accident, incident or injury can affect more than a person’s body, it can have a profound impact on the way the brain functions. Clinical neuropsychologists and psychologists can sort through the short- and long-term mental health effects of trauma and provide feedback on a person’s ability to function normally.
- Orthopedics – Orthopedic medicine focuses on the bones and joints of the body. Specialists in this field are experts in the surgical repair and healing of these important areas of the body.
While by no means a comprehensive list, when deployed to attend to medico-legal matters, these specialists can offer a clear picture of a person’s physical and mental health following an accident, injury or traumatic event.